West Virginia University’s Accessibility Vans
The WVU Accessibility Van Service provides transportation to and from classes for students with mobility impairments who live on campus or in locations within Morgantown city limits. Some consideration related to locations outside of city limits will be discussed on a case-by-case basis. This service is provided to students with both permanent and temporary disabilities; however it is available only to individuals with documented disabilities requiring assistance with transportation. The service will only provide rides to and from class and will not cover social, extracurricular, or medical activities outside of services provided by West Virginia University.
How to Apply for Accessible Transportation Services
To qualify a student must contact the Office of Disability Services at (304) 293-6700 and request accessible transportation. Students may also report to the Office of Disability Services in Room G30 of the Mountainlair to register. Students will need to provide their address and class schedule.
Appropriate medical documentation related to a mobility impairment is necessary and should consist of a note from a physician on letterhead stating:
1) the student’s diagnosis
2) the need for accessible transportation
3) the length of time accessible transportation will be needed
Once documentation is approved by the Office of Disability Services, students must arrange for transportation by contacting WVU’s Accessibility Van Service at (304) 293-7278, or by email to AccessibilityVan@mail.wvu.edu .
Guidelines for Accessible Transportation Services
- Participation is on a first-come, first-serve basis
- Transportation will be provided as close to class schedules as possible within available resources, usually within 30-45 minutes of class starting and ending times
- Participants must be in a pick-up location visible to drivers at the scheduled time of pick-up
- Timeliness is essential. Riders more than five minutes late will not be picked up; an additional trip must be rescheduled, if time and previous commitments allow it to be done
- Failure to show up for three consecutive trips to the same class will be interpreted as riders no longer needing the service. Students must contact the WVU Accessibility Van Service to be reinstated
- Schedule changes must be made as early as possible, final exams schedules and new schedules for each semester must be communicated as early as possible by calling 304-293-7278
Cancellations and Closures
- If a student must cancel the service for the day or a specific time of day the WVU Accessibility Van Service must be contacted immediately at 304-293-7278, by email at AccessibilityVan@mail.wvu.edu
- Due to inclement weather and poor driving conditions the WVU Accessibility Van Service may be canceled or operated on a limited capacity. Information and updates will be made available through MIX news, radio broadcast and an email from the Accessibility Transportation staff
The Mountain Line Transit Authority
West Virginia University students, faculty and staff can utilize the Mountain Line Transit Authority buses for free local transportation by showing a valid WVU ID to the driver when boarding the bus. The need for this service, which is free to students, may be for a temporary disability, such as a broken leg from a skiing accident, or from long term or permanent disabilities.
Mountain Line operates from 6:00 a.m. through 12:00pm midnight, Monday through Saturday. Service hours are extended on the Campus evening route until 2:50 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday while classes are in session during the fall and spring semesters.
In order to request this service, students must complete a one time Call and Ride Application and submit it to the Mountain Line Transit Authority by email to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Another option is to register on line at www.busride.org. After the application has been approved students are notified in writing or by email.
Once approved, students may call 291-7433 (291-RIDE) as little as fifteen minutes before the desired pickup time to request a deviated pick up from a fixed route schedule. Please see www.busride.org for ride schedules and more information.